Friday 13 April 2012

A trip to the archive at Museum Neukölln





A few weeks ago I visited the archive at Museum Neukölln (http://www.museum-neukoelln.de) and the kind staff there presented me with material about the Schillerkiez. Above are some wonderful postcard images of how the Schillerpromenade once was at around 1910 - 1920, just after the kiez was built. I love the one with the lady flaneur strolling down the promenade, I think it relays the idea of what the architects were trying to achieve with this incredible wide boulevard.

Amazingly the last postcard above was in their records – it shows a glimpse of my building's shop front from 1929 when it was a fur shop (ein Pelzladen - Pelzwaren translates to fur goods). I suppose it is also quite telling about the type of people who lived in the area (people who could afford fur). This is now sparking my imagination: I wonder what other shops were once in this building?

No comments:

Post a Comment